Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Firefox.

• Please log in to reply

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Hello.

I've been a user of Firefox for a few months now, and it has worked absolutely wonderful - until recently.

See, what happened is that a newer version of Firefox came out a while ago, and that was version 1.0.6. I've until then been using version 1.0.4 (I think), which I downloaded and installed from the Firefox homepage. I tried to do the same installation process with version 1.0.6, but repeatedly met with an error.

I downloaded the set up file from the Firefox homepage, and once it was completely downloaded onto my desktop, I double-clicked on it to begin installing Firefox 1.0.6. Extracting and so forth went without a glitch, but once the actual process began (that is, installing Firefox shortcuts, components and et cetera onto the PC), it would begin smoothly at first, then an error message would occur about two-thirds into the process (see attached screenshot). When I closed the error box, the installation process would simply stop at where it ended - until I manually shut it down by clicking on the red 'X' at the top right corner.

When this first occurred, I thought that maybe it was just a temporary glitch, so I tried repeating the process again. Same thing happened. I repeated a few more times, and when the error message just kept returning, deleted the set up file, and went back to the Firefox homepage to download a new copy. Subsequent tries to install Firefox 1.0.6 went the same way - everything ran fine at first, then the error message appeared again.

The bizarre thing is, up until the error message appeared, everything went smoothly, so I'd have icons on my Quick Launch bar and desktop and program shortcuts, as well as several other components on Firefox installed onto various other places on the system - enough for the program to run just fine, at any rate, since when I tested out the shortcut on my desktop the browser opened up and allowed me to surf the 'Net as per normal. When I went to the About Firefox link from the Help tab, it also told me that I was running Firefox 1.0.6. But there were things missing, since the installation process was interrupted - for example, the Add or Remove Programs panel would add Firefox into its list of installed programs. In the end, I had to remove Firefox manually - delete shortcuts, program folder that the software was installed in, then finally run scans on WinASO Registry Optimizer to get rid of the invalid entries.

Once the system was completely clear of Firefox, I tried to do a fresh reinstall but again, to no avail.

I'm now using Deer Park Alpha 2, the new beta build of the future Firefox, as my default Internet browser, and it is working great so far, so thankfully I haven't had to resort back to using Internet Explorer. Any help as to how I can download and install the latest version of Firefox sucessfully will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.JPG

Edited by cassykins, 23 July 2005 - 10:27 PM.

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Maybe it has to do with XP, I was running ME until 20 minutes ago when I upgraded to XP, and also about 3 days ago I upgraded Firefox from and to the same versions. On ME firefox was working great but now on XP firefox will not work BUT Deer Park Alpha 2 seems to be running fine.

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
*Scratches head* Okay...you guys are going to kill me for this but - hey, what do you know? About a half hour after I posted this message, I decided to give Firefox another try and guess what? This time round it installed just fine. o_o

Prior to this I went browsing around on the Mozilla Firefox support forums, and apparently I'm supposed to back up my profiles, then delete them before doing a clean install. Well, at that point in time my computer was already completely clear of Firefox and whatever profiles I might have had were already long gone. But for some reason all my settings and bookmarks and everything else came through in Firefox 1.0.6. *Blinks* Only thing gone were my search engines, but I suppose I should be pretty thankful, seeing how all my extensions and stuff are still intact.

Whatever.

Anyhow, thanks for that quick reply, phybyr0ptyk. :tazz:

Edited by cassykins, 23 July 2005 - 10:46 PM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
-shrugging shoulders-
mines still broke :tazz:

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Hmmm. Sorry I can't help you with that - since I still have absolutely no idea what went wrong with my first few tries at installing Firefox. But you might want to try out this link - it might have some helpful information there. :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
-jumping up and down-
I figured it out YAY
I had to go into my profile folder and basically just remove all themes and extensions, then restart firefox and reinstall them one by one. It took some time but both firefox and thunderbird are working great again. The funny thing is though, I never once had a problem with Deer Park Alpha 2. and thats the BETA go figure ;p

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Yeah, I know. In fact, even after all that stuff I went through running around trying to do a successful install of Firefox 1.0.6, I'm still, ultimately, sticking to Deer Park Alpha 2. I still can't get over the fact that I can just shut down my browser and have Deer Park clear up all my surfing evidence for me. :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yeah, as am I sticking with using DPA2. Not only do I love it already, but the way I figure it, the more of us that use it, will make it that much easier for the mozilla dev team to get all the bugs out. :tazz: