Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Background "Blacks Out"

• Please log in to reply

dpslp

dpslp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just got over a virus that took over my desktop background...The background said that I had a virus on my computer and to "click here" to remove it. It lead to a site advertising a virus removal program. They put a virus on my computer and then advertised a program to remove that virus.

Whatever the case, the virus was removed....now...

My desktop background is Black. I can change it to the picture of my choice but whenever I go to Internet Explorer it immediatly changes to black again.

On my desktop display properties for the background choices there is an option at the bottom that says wppp. A html value.

The background picture is literally in the background....I mean that the picture is there but is covered by the black.

I had a bout last year with the "coolweb" virus and the same thing happened. I remember that something simple was done to aleviate the problem but cannot remember what. Something like going to something in the control panel and deselecting a checked box. Not that sure though.

My hijack this is short and simple:

04 - HKLM\...\Run: [sureshotpopupkiller] "C:Clean\Popup Block\stopthepop.exe" -minimized
04 - HKLM\...\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\11220733\AOL HostManager.exe
023 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C\:WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

I ran all of the typical stuff like CW Shreader, adaware, spybot, etc...

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Even though you deleted the virus, there may still be traces of malware on your system.

I recommend going to the MALWARE forum. (There is a link in my signature.) The experts there will quickly tell if there are still any malicious software on your system.

Werner :tazz: