Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant sign on to AOL.

• Please log in to reply

Hitman666

Hitman666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks guys for trying to help me install windown 98, but now I have another problem. My computer wont let me sign on to AOL. Its installed but when it tries to sign on it keeps saying, " cant fined dial tone" or it keeps asking me to check my modem. I know the phone cord and wall jack is good. could my modem be bad or broken? It also says make sure the modem switch is in the on position, but I dont see a switch. Somebody please help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey Hitman666...

Look in the device manager and se if there is a yellow ! or ? at the modem listing or that there is even a modem listed in device manager. It sounds like either your modem wasn't detected or the drivers were not installed.

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im not sure what you were talking about, but it keeps saying it cant find a dial tone. Im pretty sure i have a moden setup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy Hitman666...

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties" and press "Enter"...selct the Device Manager tab and press "Enter". Check to see that there is a Modem listed. If there is, click the "+" sign next to it and see if it is listed by make and model. Now right click on the modem and choose properties...it should tell you if the modem is working properly or if it has a problem. If it is has a problem, post back with the make and model (if possible) and I'll see if I can help you find drivers for it.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 July 2005 - 04:45 PM.

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did what you said...
There is a modem listed- Rockwell HCF 56K Data fax PCI Modem
It says, "this device is working properly"

what do I check or do next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey Hitman666...

First...have you tried setting up your account with aol again...I've run into issues with that end before. Before I start having you changing hardware settings and swapping drivers, I'd like to have you try aol's account setup one more tme to be sure.

The driver for your modem if you want to download it now is at the link below and the file is HSFp_Win98SE.zip. (Be sure to read the "read me" file for installation...it's located right next to the download icon)

http://www.conexant....verdownload.jsp

(Rockwell is now Conexant)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 July 2005 - 09:56 PM.

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im pretty sure the account is fine... im puting my existing account onto a new computer. Im downloading the file you gave me right now. Should I download the "Winzip" file also, I dont think my other computer has it.

Just incase you dont know a couple of days ago i restored my computer so everything is like it was when I first got it a long time ago and stuff like drivers and modems probably isnt setup or anything.

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
crap!!! the file is too large for a floppy disc and the computer Im on now doesnt have a cd burner so I cant transfer the file to my other computer. Maybe its already on the other one.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this one... Conexantrockwellhcf56k.exe It should fit on a floppy.

http://members.drive...?driverid=30317

You may have to become a member to get this one...it's free to do so.

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ive become a member, but it will only let me download it to my hard drive. Will I be able to transfer it to the floppy. If so you might have to tell me how.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hitman666

Download the file...navigate to it...right click the file and choose "Send To" > "31/2" Floppy [A]" and left click. That's all there is to it.

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
never mind.... when you actually go into it it will ask you where you want to save it to. Ok, its downloaded onto the computer, what next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hitman666

Just double click the file and follow the prompts...it will install itself onto the C drive. Then you'll want to go back to Device Manager, choose your modem's properties, click on the "Driver" tab, and click on the "Update Driver" button. Let the "Wizard" search for the driver and install it when it's found.

Reboot and see if you can connect....keep me posted, I may have some more options available.

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok, its installed. I went into the stuff you said, but it says, "the best driver window is already installed for this device", but if I go into "manually pick device" I can choose from....

conexant HCF v90 56k
conexant v90 DSL 56k
Rockwell HCF 56K
Rockweel V90 DSL 56k

Should I choose one of these?

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I chose "Rockwell HCF 56K" ( I can go back and choose another one if i need to),
but it still wont let me on. Do I need to check/change anything in "control panel"
modem, internet settings, or anything else?