Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet access

• Please log in to reply

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a problem with my computer at work and nobody can figure it out. We have a LAN with one server and 10 workstations. Just the other day we had a power outage and things haven't been right since then. When I look at "My Network Places" I can see all available workstations, printer servers, etc, but I can not access any of these or the shared folders on the network. I can't get on the internet either. However, everybody else can access files from my workstation and even my hard drive. Another factor that makes this strange is that my computer is the only computer actually wired to the printer. Everybody can print fine including myself. It's like my computer is part of the network, but no internet access, no access to other workstations on the network.

Don't now what to do. If you have any advice, please help.

Thanks for your time,
James

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
can you ping a remote computer by ip? if yes, can you ping it by name?

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I can ping all other computers and they can ping me with no problem. I can ping them by both IP Address and name. Any ideas as to what might be wrong??

Thanks again,
James

Edited by j_r_auden, 25 July 2005 - 08:01 AM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
What is the specific error you are getting?

Have you also tried doing a search for an IP on your network and trying to access that way?

cya, SD

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I open up my "Network Places", I see all the workstations on the network. However, when I click on one of the workstations, it freezes. My internet explorer simply won't connect. As far as "doing a search for an IP on my network and trying to access that way", I have no idea what that means. I don't know too much about networking.

Thanks again,
James

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Give this a whirl:

Start -> Search -> Computers or People -> A Computer on the network

When asked for a computer name, enter a known hostname, or the IP address of a machine on your network with shares. If it comes back with a result, double click and see what happens.

Sometimes SMB (File and Print Sharing) can be a wee bit cranky...

ttysoon, SD

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried what you said and it acts really weird. I can actually do a search of the C: drives on other computers and it returns the results. It will show all the folders on every workstation's C: drive, but when I click on the folder to open it, my computer freezes. It's as if my computer simply can't communicate with any others. It's there on the network, it can be accessed by other users on the network, it can obviously send and receive some signals, but I can't get on the internet and I can't do anything on the network.
Thanks again for your time, and I will keep checking this topic in hopes I don't have to pay a couple of hundred dollars per hour for someone to come out.

James

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and see if you have an ip address and a default gateway

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanx for pointing that out Dave; I missed the no Internet part in the first post.

cya, SD

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no problem pops

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ran ipconfig/all from the command prompt and it seems ok. I have an IP address and a default gateway. They both seem okay.

IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Any ideas as to what might be wrong ??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open a command prompt and try to ping google.com

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
When I ping google it works fine. All packets come through fine. I don't understand this :tazz: