Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I got rid of WINFIXER. Here's how. [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

drstory

drstory

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found this annoying pop-up for Winfixer about a week ago. I found it in Add/Remove programs and uninstalled it. It still appeared to be there and still tried to run itself whenever I would go to certain websites.(e.g. www.imdb.com)

After trying to remove WinFixer the fair and decent way, I went and searched for the keyword on my harddrive. I found the path C:\Program Files\Winfixer.

I have been reading this forum looking for a way to get rid of Winfixer. It seems no one has found a solution yet.

So I finally got frustrated and went old school on this bugger. Back in the days of Win95 when we had the odd *.VXD file that just kept ghosting and wouldn't allow a clean boot of windows, I would search the registry for a likely keyword and delete all instances using regedit.

I did the same here. I opened regedit and selected the root of the tree and did search for the keyword winfixer. I found 3 instances of it even after trying all other removal techniques including Adaware.(apparently adaware thinks it is a legit prog. Which it may be, I just don't want it.)

After deleting all 3 instances found in the registry. It hasn't come back.

This may seem to be a barbaric solution to some, but for those who are just tired of dealing with it, it should work for you.

Cheers,

-don s

Advertisements

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.