Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Formatting Windows

• Please log in to reply

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a 80 GB hard disk, partitioned into 4 partitions. My operating system XP rests on Drive C, which I would like to format. How can I do so on that particular drive partition, without affecting adversely any aspects whatsoever the other remaining drives? I'm afraid that the newly installed OS will not recognise the other partitions after installation. I can't afford losing those precious data on the other drives!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
beats me why you need four partitions on one disk. Anyway, each partition has a different letter (C,D,E,F). When you do a format you have to specify a drive letter for the partition you wish to format. None of the other partitions will be affected in any way.

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
even if i format the drive my very OS is?

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Formatting C will not affect the other partitions whatsoever.....All information about a particular HD is kept at the very beginning of the disk in an area called the MBR. The drives are treated as individual drives and one doesn't affect the other.

If you intend to format and reinstall XP then just use your XP installation disk and format C and reinstall in one fell swoop. Don't delete the C drive else D will become C ..etc..Just format it and reinstall.

HTH

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks for the advice.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Great advice being given to you however, you may end up needing to retake ownership of all the files/folders on the other partitions.. Not difficult but be prepared just in case you get a "cannot access this folder" message..

Murray