Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi! I want to learn how to make progarams...

• Please log in to reply

duckie

duckie

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

fespite what people have told me....
i have started to do java
but everytime i try extracting it....
it gives me a message like -

C:\>java compiler add.java
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: compiler

why the [bleep] does it do that?
i cna't get it to work...

View Post

Because you have the wrong syntax. "java" is for running the program. It thinks "compiler" is your class name. The proper command to compile your class is:

javac add.java

This will make add.class, then you can run it with "java add [any param here]"

Advertisements

jenna7

jenna7

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I taught myself Visual Basic when I was 12 years old. I liked it because it was simple and I could create what I thought were pretty cool programs fairly easily. I then took C++ in high school. I will graduate in a year with a major in Computer Information Systems. The degree requires only one C++ class and two in Java. They do seem to be phasing out C++ in favor of Java, which is fine with me. I would recommend books in the "Teach yourself in 21 days" (though you might want to proceed a little slower) or "Dummies" series to start with.

Jenna

jweinraub

jweinraub

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i also just graduated with a BS in CS last spring. My school is still very much focusing on C++. Even though the AP classes in HS are doing Java, the freshmen level courses at my school are still focusing on C++. I never took Java, even when it was offered as an elective. I think C++ is more powerful, and as somebody already stated, if you write the C++ code, it is equally portable to any OS. That is the purpose of the ISO standard. Don't use the system calls (esp what .net offers).

However, I am now learning C# by myself and it seems like a good language. If I were you, I'd learn C# as it seems like its going to be the future, at least in Wndows programming.

It depends where you want to be making money in this field. PHP is a great web scripting language, with mySQL. I rather do things in PHP than PERL anyways.

For Linux development I do things in C++/Qt.

For Mac OS X development I prefer the objective-C/Cocoa route.

Windows development I havent made up my mind yet on C# over C++. I prefer C++, but its awkward using .net features in that language, it doesnt seem natural. VB.net, though now a better language, its probably good for beginners.

But there is no reason why a beginner cant learn C++.

This was my textbook used when I was in college. Though I used the 2nd/3rd editions, this is a great book, offers a lot of examples and explains the code very well. It is pricey but a good book to have for reference and to learn from.

Good luck!

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i just turned 13 ive known html since i was about 10 so dont say your to young u could be 5 for all anybody cares if u can read and write your half way there

jweinraub

jweinraub

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
is that comment referring to mine? i'm 24, and i said nothing discriminatory about anyone being too young.

lilhawk2892

lilhawk2892

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
no not you the topic starter