Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp pro sp1 vs sp2

• Please log in to reply

Ben1893

Ben1893

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Newbee here great forum here and :tazz: to the admins.

MY question is: I bought my laptop back in 2003 it came bundled with windows xp pro SP1 since then I've had to use my recovery disk and everything went smoothly. Now that I've upgraded to SP2 I've heard that the recovery disk won't work. Any takes on this or will everything be ok or is there a catch.

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i don't think there will be a problem downloading sp2. i downloaded it a few months ago and all works fine. a great update in my opinion!

Ben1893

Ben1893

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No no I already upgraded to SP2 months ago works fine,my question is will my recovery disk still work with no problems if I ever have to reformat? The disk came with SP1 allready on it.

Edited by Ben1893, 24 July 2005 - 02:02 PM.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i believe so yes. sp2 is only a security update and won't interfere with your recovery disc.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You may be better served asking this at the Toshiba homepage !!

There is a distinct possibility you will get an error to the effect the Windows version you are trying to install is older than the one already installed..

Then again, as the Toshiba cd is a total revovery cd, it may just give you the option to wipe everything and start over..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 July 2005 - 02:03 PM.

Ben1893

Ben1893

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks guys and Murray.S how the heck did you know I have a Toshiba. Scraches head...And thanks for the info I will contact Toshiba about the recovery disk. Thanks again and you guys are fast on the replys. :tazz: