Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor covered with Bloodhound/Bargain Buddy sign [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmm, I guess the best way to put it is that the lettering is all kind of blocky and basic looking. For example, on Windows XP the start button is green and round, but right now my start button is the old gray box. It just seems that whatever makes XP programs seem modern is gone (loss of detail) and it is all just plain and basic looking...

Hard to explain and not really a big deal, just something noticeable...

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
What you need to do is to apply Service Pack 2 as soon as possible. Apply the update - reboot.
Get all critical windows updates after getting SP2 .. Again, reboot once downloaded.
Also apply this script fix after that;
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
reboot when finished.

I'm not sure will this help, but it's something you definately want to do. You need to get proper protection.. I will post additional preventive measures to make sure this won't happen again once you have applied those updates first.

- Rawe :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Can you change your Windows XP style, and do you have all the tabs in Properties? Such as theme, screensaver etc

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes I can change the theme and all that...before this happened I changed it from the original Windows Xp style to it being more bullet and silverish...

I tried getting the SP2 before but it always seemed to time out on me. Actually now that I think about it this computer has always had problems timing out on me, could that just be a connection problem or the computer? For instance all my replies haven't been on this computer (the one we're trying to fix), rather I had to get on my brother's computer and reply from there. Anyways I am going to try to get that SP2 now and I will post what happened with that a.s.a.p. Thank you again for all your time and effort.

Edited by boilmakrjs, 31 July 2005 - 12:32 PM.

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
AH! After re-configuring my Sygate (adding in allowances of the windows update site), I finally was able to get updates for my computer. After the reboot, the computer downloaded the updates and starting installing SP2. In the middle of installing the files, a message came up stating: "Access is denied", and then proceeded to remove all of the SP2 settings it was creating. How do I go about regaining the SP2 update?

Also, nevermind about the plain looking desktop items, I was playing around w/ the themes and got it all back.

Edited by boilmakrjs, 31 July 2005 - 03:19 PM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Please go HERE (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on Windows Validation Assistant
  • Click on the Validate Now button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click continue
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click Continue to return to your previous activity
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran that program before the sp2 update and this is what it states:

Thank you for running the Windows Validation Assistant. It appears that your Windows Product Key is valid.

It then goes on to ask me to perform the anti-piracy procedure. Is this what you were looking for or did I go too far?

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Are you on dial-up or on broadband?

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
broadband...sbc yahoo dsl

Edited by boilmakrjs, 01 August 2005 - 11:42 AM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
See if you can get this one;
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Apply the update - reboot.

Advertisements

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Told me Access is Denied again...so I found this article in the Help section
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=873148

I followed their instructions and have attached the log from step 3 (setupapi) in this posting.

In step 2, I followed the instructions and this is what I found:
PruneCatalogsFromHotfixes:RegQueryValueEx Failed: 0x0
992.000: PruneCatalogsFromHotfixes:RegQueryValueEx Failed: 0x0
992.000: PruneCatalogsFromHotfixes:RegQueryValueEx Failed: 0x2
996.062: Num Ticks for Copying files : 553000
1002.797: DoRegistryUpdates:SetupInstallFromInfSection Failed for ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
1002.797: INF_REGISTRY Failed
1002.797: DoInstallation:DoRegistryUpdates failed
1019.031: Unregistration of sprecovr successful
1019.297: Access is denied.
1035.031: Message displayed to the user: Access is denied.

If you open the log I attached, follow the instructions from Step 3, you'll find error messages all over the place when you keep going upward...

I didn't want to start changing random registry keys without a knowledgable person's go ahead because I would most likely be setting up the debit card w/ a nice new computer purchase...

Thank you again for all the help, I hate to be such a pain and I'll just keep hoping that one day something will just easily fix on this computer...

Attached Files

Edited by boilmakrjs, 01 August 2005 - 06:26 PM.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi again.. Please do the following;

Click Start => Run then copy & paste the following to the box;

regedit /e c:\wupdate.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate"

Click Ok.

You should have a following text file; c:\wupdate.txt

Copy & paste all of it's content here.

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I copied and pasted the line in the box like you said and nothing happened nor came up...I tried it twice, then just used regedit to look up the key and it wasn't in there

I also tried it on my brothers computer and nothing came up.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Well I don't know then. Maybe the easiest way is for you to order the free CD for XP sp2 upgrade here;
http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

At least that will work.

I'll give you some additional instructions on how to prevent spyware on future..

Disable System Restore;

1. Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check the "Turn off System Restore"
5. Click Apply. An message shows up.
6. Click "Yes" to do this.
7. Confirm with "Ok".

Reboot.

Enable System Restore;

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore" check box.
5. Click Apply, and then click "OK".

System Restore will now be active again. ;) Be sure to set a new restore point, and if you need additional help with that, here's a link; http://filext.com/in...thread.php?t=27

Here's some tips for future to prevent spyware;

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed. (My favourite)
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program <= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kaspersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall <= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser <= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice;
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My favourite)

At least get the security updates/xp fixes to your SP1 before getting the Sp2 update. Install some of the Software above and read Tony Klein's article. As well remember to keep your all software updated and keep heads up for updates..

If you want to learn how to help people with malware problems like I helped you, feel free to take a look at this thread; http://www.geekstogo...here-t4817.html

I'd leave CleanUp! for periodical cleaning of garbage from your system. You can also go ahead and uninstall the most of the programs you needed during the process.. Except I'd leave Ad-aware too.

boilmakrjs

boilmakrjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you for all of your time, effort and help in fixing this problem! Like I said before, it is definetly nice to have a working computer again, and I will definetly keep trying to get that SP2 into this computer.

Best of luck to you