Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Umountable Hard drive BSOD

• Please log in to reply

cb001

cb001

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Basically, I was happily using my laptop the other day, when it fired a blue screen of death and rebooted. Usually this would not be a big issue, but it went through the boot sequence-bsod-reboot cycle ad infinitum. The following day, I managed to boot the machine without changing anything, and get a few files backed up. After this, the old problems returned.

I was annoyed and suspecting normal hard drive failure until it happened to my girlfriends PC two days later. There's no way this is coincidence and having searched for the problem we are having, it seems a little alarming to see it cropping up fairly frequently in recent times.

It would seem to be some sort of external attack causing this, but unsure.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I realise I can rebuild, but am short of time and would also prefer to shut whatever door this came through first.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Try the following links:
http://www.microsoft...md_stp_woft.asp
http://support.micro...=297185&sd=RMVP

cb001

cb001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The first one does not apply to the systems we are using, and I had suspected some sort of boot corruption. There are a number of sites suggesting using the XP recovery disks, but I have not seen anywhere suggesting where the error may have come from.

I appreciate your help and fast response and will try the standard recovery option tonight, but I still have concerns over how corruption got into our PCs which were running SP2 and norton and were fairly regularly checked with adaware and spybot.

Cheers,

CB

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Unmountable_Boot_Volume? If this is it then I have the same problem.
To fix this problem then you need to get a special cable for your hard drive so that the information can run through faster ( Super ATA Cable).

cb001

cb001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As mentioned, I really don't think it is a problem with cabling due to the age of the machines and years of continuous service. I have followed the MS advice on the link above, with chkdsk and fixboot, but to no avail. I did get a little further through the boot sequence, but normal BSOD service prevailed.

cb001

cb001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Still no joy, Short of completely rebuilding both machines, I am out of ideas. Does anyone have anything else i could try? I realise i have not done the cabling suggestion, but as one laptop and one desktop that have years of happy service behind them both stopped working with the same error within days of each other, it seems more likely that it is an infection of some kind.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help my plight.

Chris