Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe who many instances are needed

• Please log in to reply

Kessel

Kessel

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I am wondering how many instances of svchost are needed when running windows.

In a Firewall program called Agnitium Outpost Firewall I have about 14 instanes of it, they are running on ports:

2 instances of 1900
2 insances of 123
DCOM

I would like to know, appart from the above, how to find a way to limt the number of programs that start when windows does ( NOT star menu programs which I can control but system files and things. I know for a fact that a computer works much faster if these can be limited.

Lastly, does anyone have anything bad to say about XP Service Pack 2, appart from IBM <_<

Thanks,

Eric

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Go to Start....Run....Type in "msconfig" without the quotes. Click "OK" . Go to the start-up tab and look at what runs at start-up. Uncheck the things that you don't want running when you start up the machine. Some programs are essential.

For details on each start-up item, go to the start-up list at:

http://computercops.biz/

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's another good tool for identifying startup items, and disabling the unwanted.

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=11

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
If you want to take this further, here is somewhere you can find out about the service hosts. www.tweaktown.com

Kessel

Kessel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info guys .

I'll have a look.

SP 2 is really good, at least I recomend it - and what more recomendation could you need <_<

Eric