Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get rid of logon screen in XP pro

• Please log in to reply

nbrents

nbrents

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm the only user on my computer. At startup I always have to respone to a logon with my computer name and passwork ( I have none) so I press enter to move past the screen. Or I can change the logon process and choose my name from a user list which only has me and a guest.

How can I get rid of this step in the boot process? I know it started after one of the Microsoft security patches.

TIA Brent

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Go to Control Panel->User Accounts.
Click on Change the way a users log on or log off option.
Enable the Use Welcome Screen Option. Click on Apply Changes.

Edited by darth_ash, 25 July 2005 - 08:39 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

As per Microsoft..

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed. Additionally, users receive the following error message:
Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must reinstall it.

3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.

4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.

5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

Murray