Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much software does one need?

• Please log in to reply

Pepsi

Pepsi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I cant seem to tell my husband anything about his computer can you all can help me tell him he has too much software on his compter which is Windows XP. He is running off of dsl but its so slow until you think its dial up instead...Here are all the things he have on his compter and God only knows how many he has that I dont see on his ....Can you please help me help him....Thx

1. CCleaner
2. Notmad Explorer
3. Start System Mechanic 4
4. Windows Registry Rep....
5. System Mechanic
6. Microsoft AntiSpyware
7. Mozilla Firefox
8. Spybot Search
9. Ad Aware
10. Lavasoft
11. Panda Software
12. Red Chair Software

Edited by Pepsi, 25 July 2005 - 09:53 AM.

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hello Pepsi!

Well, there really is no limit on how much software you can have on your machine, however, there are a couple "restrictions" if you will:

1) The hard disk on a computer will only hold a certain amount of data depending on how big it is. In this respect, one could call it a limit

2) Depending on the machine, one can only run a certain amount of programs at the same time before it bogs out.

If your machine is running dog slow (and based on your experiences with it, it should be running faster) here is my suggestion:

1) Read over this post:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

2) Based on the guidelines in the above post, start a thread in the Malware forum and the experts there will guide you thru cleaning things up if need be.

cya, SD

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right click on the system try and pull up Task manager, go to running process and compare memory commitment with available memory. If the commitment is greater, or even more than say 75% of the available you need to add memory. The lack of enough memory is what causes most computer slowddowns.