Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cleaning up the system tray(not just temporarily)

• Please log in to reply

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
how do I remove entries of programs i no longer use....what im talking about is in your system tray where you have all of your icons of some programs running...but how do I delete the entries after I uninstall the program....NOTE: This is only in windows xp...

Right click on the blue taskbar > properties > then customize, I have show the clock and hide inactive icons boxes both checked...
but when i go to customize, I have current items and past items, when I uninstall a program that had a icon in the system tray, it never comes active again, but how do I remove the icons that I dont want or need anymore??? I still want the current running programs, just most of the past icons...how do I remove them???

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't think that it is possible, removeing past icons.

But stoping the current is easy if you want to know how. The first options it to right click them and look for any thing in the menu that means stop. The second it to delete things out of the of start menu<programs<startup. the last it to go start<run type msconfig and hit the startup tab and untick anything that you don't want to start with windows,be careful what you untick gcasServ is for microsft any spyware uticking it will disable it and ccApp belonbs to Norton AntiVirus and unticking them will stop them working, you don't wan't to do that.