Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows media player 7.1(again)

• Please log in to reply

anderson_rose

anderson_rose

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
When my son watches video on the media player, there are problems with lagging audio and video whether he has downloaded the video or he is streaming it. The video sound is chippy( cutting out for a split second ). The video itself jumps and doesn't come into focus. It does not move smoothly at all. He has no problems with video on quicktime or any other players. We had problems with 7.1 the other day ( radio) but that is working fine now. The buffering is set to the max ( 30 seconds ) and the multimedia sample rate has been turned down. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.....

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Likely a CODEC problem. Try downloading a CODEC pack like Nimo's found here:
http://www.divx-dige.../nimo_pack.html

Let us know if that helps. <_<

anderson_rose

anderson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion about the codec pack - unfortunately the link you gave leads to a dead ends in all regards as either the pages can not be displayed or one leads to a web site written in Spanish or Portugese ( I think )... I will keep trying though as I know that sometimes websites go down for a period of time and then come back. We are at the point that we are considering moving on from Windows 98 and upgrading to XP. With that will come a new media player and likely a whole new set of problems... Thanks for your time...

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
I tried the link that admin posted and it works fine for me please check the settings on your browser.
<_<

anderson_rose

anderson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Good Morning,
I have tried everything I know how to get to this codec pack, nothing works. I did download a codec from Windows website. My son has played around with the settings of the audio and video on the multimedia player. He gets audio now with no trouble however the video still locks up at about a minute and a half into whatever he is watching. After downloading the windows codec and installing it, there is no apparent difference. I don't really know what else to say. LOL If our browser isn't set correctly - we don't know how to change that... We have never had any problems going to any website unless they were down, moved etc... I followed the suggestions on the "Can't Display page" in each case and when I used the link and it sent me somewhere I tried to figure it out.... I am going to Google the codec pack name and see if I can find it on my own.... Thanks again for your help... If I can get to the codec I will let you know, otherwise we will trudge on and try to figure it out ourselves... Thanks again....

anderson_rose

anderson_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again,
I found another link to the Nimo Codec pack, I installed it and followed all directions. Unfortunately, it made the situation worse and the video actually crapped out sooner than without the codec pack. I don't know if this is a coincidence but regardless, I have since uninstalled the codec pack and basically am going to leave it at that unless you have any other thoughts??? Sorry for all the confusion... Thanks again for the time...