Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with internet

• Please log in to reply

S3C7A

S3C7A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a desktop computer with comcast cable modem connected through usb... its been working fine for about two years... i just got a notebook computer and i purchased a d-link router... i connected an ethernet cable from the modem into the wan port on the router... and an ethernet cable from the 1 port to the computer... the internet on the laptop works great... but now the internet on the desktop stopped working and a message balloon pops up stating ERROR: IP ADDRESS CONFLICT WITH OTHER COMPUTER. CLICK HERE TO FIX THE PROBLEM. it tries to renew ip address but is never successful. ive tried changing the modem conncetion to computer by using ethernet for a connection to my computer instead of usb... but now my computer does not recognize my modem and the internet still works great on the laptop. plz help me as soon as possible. thx..

Advertisements

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Inside the settings for your router, there should be a setting that enables DHCP. This needs to be enabled. Also, some routers allow you to specify the number of ip addresses that will be allowed into the router. If this is set to 1, it won't let you connect.

Both of your computers are trying to use the same internal ip address, which is creating a conflict and not letting the other connect. I bet if you were to start up one before the other, it would be the one that could connect, while the other could not.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yes that is likely but just to add u wil have to go to the properties of the lan cards and set them to automatic because they will ignore the dhcp server if they are manual assigned, in addition to this if the router has a dhcp server which by default is not active it will be the first ive seen.

S3C7A

S3C7A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thx for the help but i called comcast...intially they said they would not help me with this problem... but later i called again and told them about the problem again and they just gave me a new ip address.. thx for the help tho