Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format Second Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Going to get a couple sets of fresh eyes/minds to take a look at this one as well!!

Murray

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Time tested - what I've always used as a last resort when coming up against a troubled drive that has part of a RAID configuration instruction set, compression, third party overlays, hidden partitions or anything else that Windows didn't like playing with - I'll throw the drive in another PC and physically jumper it as a slave (not CS as a slave) then boot with a 98 floppy and FDISK the drive removing all partitions. Then I'll pull it, put it back in the original machine and set the partition and format it using disk management. Haven't run up against anything that this won't work on.

If you have Partition Magic, you can probably kill it that way too.

Post back if you encounter any problems.

:tazz:

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

One way to delete your partitions is to use your windows CD at boot up. 

Click here for a tutorial.

Follow all the steps in part 1.
In part 2 look at the first picture.  That is the screen you want.
From there you can delete any partitions on your old drive. Make sure you choose the right drive as you can easily delete your installation of windows.

After deleting the partitions you don't want, set up a new one.  After you setup your new partition simply restart your computer.  Do not format in windows setup.  After formatting windows will automatically start copying over setup files.  Restart and format your old hard drive in windows.

I hope this helps,

Urich

View Post

The previous I mentioned does have it's risks, so if you're worried that you'll ruin your windows install just disconnect your new hard drive before you enter into setup. That would be easier than moving the drive to another computer.

Just another idea,

Urich

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Perhaps This MSKB # 242168 will help re: understanding.

Urich: Your recommended approach may well work for this specific problem but for others it does not. When you run into a defiant problem drive you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. For this one however, I'd certainly concur that trying what you have outlined is a prudent next step which minimizes the hassle of pulling the drive.

:tazz:

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Ok so here's a "solution' of sorts that I found. First, I just read all posts made after 10 PM, so I did not have an opportunity to do anything you suggested at that time. But, I found a rather weird solution. I am not using it, but I know that I can recover those 6 Gigs, when I'll need them. At this time I am using whatever space I have, around 226+ Gig.

Solution:

http://www.compuapps.../swissknife.htm

So I used this Swiss Knife. What it showed me, is that 6 Gig as a "Free Space". It actually doesn't see that First partition on either Master, or Slave I am messing with in information mode. But in partition mode, it shows both as free space. So all I did was, I chose maximum format amount allowed of that Free Space (6 Gig) and Got my 6 Gigs as another drive letter (It assigned automatically as a new partition. I however cannot combine those. And what is strange, is that original non movable 6 Gig Partition is still shown in Disk Management with having 6 Gig, but now it shows three partitions. And the one that I had originally ramins at 226+ gig exactly as it was. But now, I also have extra 6 Gig I was looking for. Also, Paragon http://www.partition-manager.com/ now showing both 6 Gig partitions Original which is now 0 in Swiss Knife and New 6 Gig, as an Error or invalid. However, I can copy files tyo that new 6 Gig partition and use it as if it is a normal Drive H. Weird Huh?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So, you bought a new 250 gb drive, and cloned it from the previous drive?

Why? What was wrong with the original 250gb drive?

The 6gb drive is hidden partition used where your system builder for restoring the OS or maybe programs.

Are you sure you want to remove it? From both?

Who made your PC?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hello. ;)

So, you bought a new 250 gb drive, and cloned it from the previous drive?

Why? What was wrong with the original 250gb drive?

The new Harddrive has 16 meg Cache. The old has two. And it supposed to be more quiet. And it is newer drive as well. However, now when I am doing something heavy, my Windows media player chokes sometimes when I play music.

The 6gb drive is hidden partition used where your system builder for restoring the OS or maybe programs.

Are you sure you want to remove it? From both?

No. Only from the second Drive. I do realise that that partition is for system use. That is what it is called when I run Symantec Clone. Also, when I did defrag yesterday, on the old drive, which is now a backup drive I am messing with, it said "free space for system use." However there is no system use on the backup drive, so I want to claim this space.

Who made your PC?

Sony. It is SONY VAIO 2004 system, PCV-RZ50CG. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Who manufactured the hard drive?

The manufacture drive utility should allow you to write zeros to the drive. Once you write zeros (doesn't even have to be the whole drive), the partition info disappears and you should be able to format the full drive.

Get a hold of the manufacture's disk utility (might have iso image for you to burn on-line), disconnect your os drive, boot from the cd, and follow the prompts/menus.

makai

Edited by makai, 29 July 2005 - 02:14 AM.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. The old HD is Western Digital. I already have filled 175 Gigs of backup info on it. So I cant format entire drive. Is there a way to format only that partition? And I am afraid if I am going to use manufacturer's software, it will wipe my entire drive. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with fdisk you should be able to just delete that partition then format it into useable space....granted if you just leave it that way it will be a 6 gig partition...though you can make the whole disk dynamic and then you wouldn't have to worry about it because you could merge the partitions

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I already have filled 175 Gigs of backup info on it.

Wow, I hope this isn't your only backup of these files. Although hard drives are very reliable nowadays (compared to even 5 yrs ago), I would seriously consider also backing up to DVD-R.. unless there's a reason you can't. Just one crash and adios!

As far as using the manufactures disk, yes, if you write zeros, you lose everything you've obviously worked hard to get on that disk.

makai

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thank you for your replies.

So will Fdisk work with Windows XP?

And I have problem saving data to DVDs. How do I do that?