Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help: Cant get P4P800-E to work with SATA RAID

• Please log in to reply

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi. I am trying to get a new build up and running, but ive come across a pretty big snag. I am trying to get a RAID setup with two 74GB raptor drives. I am using an ASUS P4P800-E motherboard. I plugged in the two sata drives onto the SATA_RAID ports on the motherboard. This allowed me to enter the FastTrack Raid Controller utility, where I was able to configure the two drives with a RAID 0 setup. So i go into the bios and this is where things start to get wierd. The hard drives are not being seen in main menu where the IDE drives are displayed. The boot menu does have an option of the FT ARY1, which i take to mean the FastTrack Array 1 boot option. When I insert my windows xp pro disk to try and install, i hit f6 when it asks me to. the part where i hit s to specify additional drives comes up, and I am trying to do this because i am pretty sure i would have to specify a raid controller like the fast track. but no drives are recognized there, and when i put in the floppy with the raid drivers on it, it just loops and doesnt do anything. if i try to continue in setup, when i hit enter to install windows it tells me no drives are hooked up. The drives are recognized when i setup the RAID array but seemingly they are not recognized after. please help, this is driving me crazy! Everytime ive asked a question here before, everyone has always been awesome in helping me get the info that fixes the solution, so i've still got hope.

Advertisements

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If I posted pictures here would that help? as long as sometone told me how to show digital pictures, I could post what the screens for the bios and RAID setups are showing and also what happens when I try to install windows.

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry hit Fast Reply accidentally. If I posted pictures here would that help? as long as sometone told me how to show digital pictures, I could post what the screens for the bios and RAID setups are showing and also what happens when I try to install windows.

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
help? can anyone tell me how to post some digital pictures i have of the computer?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its really not neccasary, get your pc running without raid use the non raid sata ports for the drives and set the boot priorities. RAID 0 will actually make less of a differene than you might think you get a good advantge from just having two drives if it isnt that important i wouldnt bother with raid until you have the pc going well for a while.

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I suppose I could try that, but im not sure how to do a raid setup after ive installed and completed the computer?... is there anyone who knows anything about why i would be having these issues with setting up RAID and having windows recognize it? i will post some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• BIOS1.JPG
  • BIOS2.JPG
  • Specify.JPG
  • Fasttrack.JPG
  • startup.JPG

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
bump

XavierFrost

XavierFrost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well I fixed it. The floopy drive was bad, so it wasnt reading anything when i tried to use it, including the RAID controllers. As soon as I switched it out everything worked great.