Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COMPUTER FAILS TO POWER-ON

• Please log in to reply

oreofudge

oreofudge

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am looking at a puter that fails to power on, its owner tells me that nothing has been added, it just failed one morning to power on. I followed instructions from HP's website with no luck, is there a way to check if the power supply is working?...

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can bench test it but you need to know the connections. Substitution is a much easier way to test, if another supply works on the computer then you know where the problem lies. BUUTTT there is more than a small chance that something else shorted out and pulled the power supply down with it. So disconnect anything not required for booting, like the floppies, cdrom, etc, and try it. Try it with the old supply first, then the new one.

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I connected a working power supply and plugged just the HD and the puter booted-up, but when reconnecting the faulty one, nothing happens. I also connected the faulty one to where the working PS was, and a green light lit up on the motherboard but the puter failed to boot-up. So I guess that the PS is broken, right?...

oreofudge

oreofudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
When you say that I need to know the connections, you mean that I need to know which connector goes where as to, power, fans, floppy drives, cd drives and hard drives, right?, because the connectors for the drives, except the floppy's are the same, the fan's and the power's are totally different from the drive's...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi oreofudge...Welcome to G2G

I connected a working power supply and plugged just the HD and the puter booted-up, but when reconnecting the faulty one, nothing happens. I also connected the faulty one to where the working PS was, and a green light lit up on the motherboard but the puter failed to boot-up. So I guess that the PS is broken, right?...

Pretty good indication of a bad power supply! Don't replace it with a cheapie, get the best you can afford.

wannabe1