Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora/DrPMon [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

trixie10022

trixie10022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
rstones12 -

I have a big problem. :tazz: I was going through the suggestions that you sent and went to update Wondows Security. I was downloading MS Service Pack 2 from MS website. It stopped during the first one, so I cancelled it and downloaded it again. No problem. It said to restart my computer. So I did. And now XP won't work. Error message says that \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. It said to use the disk to reinstall but the disk isn't working either. What happened?

Thanks,
trixie10022

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy trixie:

You need to make sure your first boot device in BIOS is set to the cd-rom..

If it is, go to the following link.. It will give you a tutorial on how to Repair XP and fix that problem.. All you really need to read is down to the third pic as that will show you how to run the Repair Option..

Click Here

Murray

trixie10022

trixie10022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Murray and redstones12 -

It didn't work. It doesn't even seem to recognize the XP is on the machine. This is the screen that I got:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP or DOWN keys to select an item on the list.
- To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
- To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
- To delete the selected partition, press D.

28616 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition 1 [FAT] 47 MB (39MB free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 28561 MB (19969 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

Enter = Install
D = Delete Partition
F3 = Quit

Thanks for guidance.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Highlight the C: partition option and choose the Set up windows option.. The next screen should give you hte repair option..

Murray

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.