Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HDD, which one for master?

• Please log in to reply

bogan

bogan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I currently have a 80gb HDD in my computer and recently it's become about 95% full. I purchased a 160gb one today and I don't know if I should use the new one as a master and the 80gb for extra storage or the other way around.

I'm using Windows XP Home and plan on using Linux later on.

Which would be the best option 160gb for master or 80gb?

I'm also thinking of transfering everything onto the 160gb and using that as a master with windows, then installing linux on the 80gb. Then I won't have to worry about partitioning drives. The only thing I'm worried about is if I download files in windows that I won't be able to access them in linux or if I download them in linux I wont be able to access them in windows.

Sorry if that turned into a bit of a linux based question.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bogan, 26 July 2005 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
if your going to go the way of linux on one drive and windows on the other then I would reccomend putting the windows on the 160 and linux on the 80. And yes, you should have no problem accessing files that you doenload using windows from the linux drive. Just so long as the file (assuming its like an application or somthing) is compatible with linux, and can be played|viewed whatever by an application on that OS.

--Chris