Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with downloads

• Please log in to reply

rmonk92591

rmonk92591

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[B]Question:
My software designer has created a great software at my request but many of my users are having problems downloading it from our website. When we send them a CD in the mail we add AUTO RUN and it takes off just fine but I need a fail proof solution for the people that try from the web side. Here is the link to get a copy to try http://www.handyestimator.com/demo.asp
Please keep in mind that people (contractors ) sometimes have limited skills to deal with downloading software and they get frustrated and abandon the idea very quicky. This was the main reason we designed the software because it does the math for them in a simple manner. Now not everyone is this limited. of course ..BUT..I must expect that no one has a problem downloading it first....We even have a training video about how to load it...but...if they have a problem they never ask for it to be shipped to them...I get automatic notices when someone downloads the software demo from the site......and when I see the same person...going back 3-4 times I can just figure they are having problems.....and we seem to loose them...and the percentage is high....25%..or more..
What I need are several suggestions or different idea's that I can suggest to my software designer. I think the app is visual basic.
I don't now of anymore info but if you have questins I will get back with you ASAP....the direct zip might be helpful to you instead of going through the web-site and enter all the info.....http://HandyEstimator.com/HandyEstimatorDemo.zip ....and the training demo is at http://HandyEstimato...dyEstimator.exe.

RDM

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well you have a very through docuementation on how to install it. once they provide a name and email link you send an email to them. I would do a pop up screen once they click on the submit button say to please check thier email for the download link.

I would also like to make sure that you are not going to use the email for any other purpose other than to send the link for the software download. Since privacy issues are such a concern maybe you should just give the link at the bottom for the download.

It may be that they are not putting in valid contact info and expect a popup window or redirect to the download link.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can ask your developer to put the files in an autoextracting zip file instead of a standard one....this would unzip it to a standard location....even better would be to get them to compile it into an actual installer like you get with most standard programs

rmonk92591

rmonk92591

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks !! I'll past it on.....it's all geek to me....anyway thanks a bunch...and I will past on to him..
RDM