Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mcafee problem: faulty display, no downloads

• Please log in to reply

fevvers

fevvers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have already posted this in reply to another question, but since I am in need of help here it is again:

My McAfee AntiVirus hasn't displayed and downloaded properly lately. Customer Service people tell me it only works with Internet Explorer as default browser, and I should best deinstall all other browsers and my old McAfee installation, and then reinstall McAfee with only IE as standard browser.

Personally, I think I'm going to pass, keep using Firefox and get a better (i.e. thorough, but more compatible) antivirus program.

But I'm still wondering what's the matter. A possible issue: McAfee makes use of ActiveX elements. But although Internet Explorer has never been my standard browser that wasn't a problem until recently.

I did tighten IEs security options at one point, restricting ActiveX elements (I'm not sure but the problems may have started then). I have reset those options by now - no effect whatsoever on my McAfee issue.

Has someone encountered and solved the problem? And if there is no cure, recommendations for a better antivirus program, anyone?

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I agree with you that you shouldn't have to uninstall all your other browsers just to make use of McAfee. I am a huge fan of the free for personal home use AVG Antivirus [http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1. It includes all the major features you need: active protection, boot scanning, continuous updates and is free for personal use! Can't ask for more and even runs well on older hardware. I install this on every windows computer I set up for friends/family. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi,

I have already posted this in reply to another question, but since I am in need of help here it is again:

My McAfee AntiVirus hasn't displayed and downloaded properly lately. Customer Service people tell me it only works with Internet Explorer as default browser, and I should best deinstall all other browsers and my old McAfee installation, and then reinstall McAfee with only IE as standard browser.

Personally, I think I'm going to pass, keep using Firefox and get a better (i.e. thorough, but more compatible) antivirus program.

But I'm still wondering what's the matter. A possible issue: McAfee makes use of ActiveX elements. But although Internet Explorer has never been my standard browser that wasn't a problem until recently.

I did tighten IEs security options at one point, restricting ActiveX elements (I'm not sure but the problems may have started then). I have reset those options by now - no effect whatsoever on my McAfee issue.

Has someone encountered and solved the problem? And if there is no cure, recommendations for a better antivirus program, anyone?

View Post