Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Hard Drive is locked..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ssalter

ssalter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running XP-Home ED that has become locked, (I think it has had a hard drive failure) but figured id ask for some help. anyone have any idea how to access the BIOS short of a reformatting this laptop? I do have data on it that i would like to keep...I have tried all of the F- key combos and no results. it requests "HDDPassword" and lets me give 3 tries and then shuts off. I restart and try 3 again, and so on..Any suggestions?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Do U mean the BIOS password?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the exact message that comes up when you boot?

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I get no Screen shot.. just the In Touch With
Toshiba
screen. there is a LCD display on the face of the computer and it has there "HDDPassword" ive tried all i know and no luck...

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Try unplugging the computer and taking out the battery for a bit. If that doesn't work, I believe on some boards you can disable the password feature via a jumper?

-Matt

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ill unplug and remove the battery, on the jumper settings I have no idea of what to do there though...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is no real way that this password (bios or third part boot password) could have gotten set without someone doing it....ask the person who set this password if you can have access...it seems as though you are trying to get into a computer that someone doesn't want you to get into....unless you can remember where YOU set this password we cannot help you any further

ssalter

ssalter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
This computer is an office computer for my office. I provide the tech support for this office as a server administrator and this user brought the computer in to me with the problem.
I am sorry for the missleading start to the whole thread here, but I am trying to save money instead of sending this laptop to toshiba.
I do understand your concern of a fraudulent attemp at accessing a computer but i assure you that this is a valid issue i have. mif you have any help on this matter and wish not to show the information on this topic publicly please email me @ Email address removed - Do not post your email address publicly unless you really like spam

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot from a cd with the machine? or does this password come up before that?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This is a security feature of the Toshiba laptop. Unless you know the password, you have to bring it to an authorized Toshiba repair facility and show proof of ownership to get it unlocked.

Topic closed.