Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I rid myself of AOL charges?

• Please log in to reply

myasam

myasam

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am trying to rid myself of AOL charges while my kids use instant messaging. AOL is not my service provider, although once upon a time they were. My kids use AOL IM. In trying to canacel AOL service, they insist the IM ability will cease. I know that many others use AOL IM without having them as the service provider and do not pay a monthly charge. Where am I going wrong?

I was told that if my kids do not currently use their original screen name (sign-on) that AOL can be disconnected and IM usage still available. Is this true?

I would appreciate any advice someone out there can provide.

Cathy

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you are a current AOL Subscriber and then you cancel your service, they will delete your screen name. Thats likely what they are talking about.

You dont even have to use AIM to use the AIM service, I use Miranda-IM. Its free, light, and allows you to use all the chat services. Your kids may need to change their screen names after you cancel your service, this might be a good time for you to switch to something better.

ScHwErV :tazz:

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you for your speedy reply.
It's my understanding that in cancelling, their initial screen names will be cancelled but not their current screen name. Do you know this to be true?

Also, what do they have to do to switch to Miranda-IM? Will they have to notify all their buddies or choose a new screen name?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they should just need to pick a different screen name after you turn off the aol...basically if you download aim as the stand-alone program they can set up their screen names and then message evryone then cancel aol

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Okay - They can do that. Can I download Miranda-IM and start using immediately? Is it safe to download this without worrying about a bunch of junk coming with it?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Yes. Miranda is open source and very nice.

http://www.miranda-im.com

ScHwErV :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have never used miranda...but i'm pretty shure ScHwErVe wouldn't lead you wrong.....he's a smart cookie

myasam

myasam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you so very much. You are all so great!