Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A question about audio file drivers...

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Composer

Mr. Composer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone. I've got a question, and since I'm not incredibly computer-savvy with terms referring to hardware, software, etc., if you all could put your answer in simple terms I'd really appreciate it.

Alright, onto my question. I, a couple weeks ago, installed a demo for a program called "MIDI Illustrator". Now, when the "Installation Wizard", I think it's called, popped up to begin installing the demo, it asked me if I would like to have MIDI Illustrator open up all MIDI files that I click on. Well, I, not knowing any better, said yes to this. My question now is this: how can I get Windows Media Player to once again become the standard program to run MIDI files. Now every time I try to open a MIDI file the program opens, and while it still plays it, it's a little bothersome to have that program open every time I'd like to listen to a piece of music.

I've seen somewhere on my computer before that there is a list, for lack of a better word, that listed all of the audio formats and showed which software played it (I have RealPlayer, Dell Jukebox, and Windows Media Player). Is there any way I can get back into that list and change ot back to the standard WMP?

Thank you all. I hope someone has an answer to my issue. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
click start > run > regedit
navigate to hkey_classes_root (should be first) open that then look for .mid and .midi expand both of those and you will see an open with list delete whatever is under that and try to open a midi file again

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Right click on any midi file, choose Open with from the list.

When the Open with window opens, choose WMP, (you may have to browse for WPM if it's not in the list), and select the checkbox at the bottom to Always use program to open, blah, blah... (Sorry, not on XP at the moment).

Click OK and WMP should open all midis from then on.

makai

Edited by makai, 26 July 2005 - 01:17 PM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open WMP.
Open the Tools Menu. Click on Options.
In the Options Window, click on the File Types tab.
Put a Check mark on the MIDI file (midi) option.
Click OK.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try theirs first....less invasive

Mr. Composer

Mr. Composer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys. That really helped me out, and all is running right again.

Once again, I thank you all.

-Mr. Composer