Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plextor 712a DVD problem

• Please log in to reply

Quoling

Quoling

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is driving me nuts :tazz:
My DVD drive no longer wants to recognize ANY dvd's - ones that I have burned and tested no longer work - neither do films or games

I have a plextor 712a, when I place the discs into the drive the light flashes and then nothing happens.

I have upgraded the firmware, but then it did not recognize ANY CD's, so I downgraded again.

I am tempted to reinstall Windows and start from scratch, but don't want to risk this in case the CD's are not found again...

Any advice more than welcome Plextor's site is basically rubbish and I am desperate....

thanks

Pete

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to you local computer store and buy a CD cleaning kit. Follow the directions carefully. You shouldn't have to reinstall XP to get rid of your problem... it's probably the Plextor that's messed up, not XP.

makai

Quoling

Quoling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go :tazz:

Thing is since moving back the firmware - CD's are fine...it's just DVD's that don't work - surely if this was a dirty drive then the cd's wouldn't work either?

Cheers

Pete

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try uninstalling the device and reinstalling it

Quoling

Quoling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Have done that 3 or 4 times now - I do it before changing the firmware to make sure.

Cheers

Pete

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you checked for malware?
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

this might help...though it sounds more hardware

Quoling

Quoling

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestion - I have a regular check of my system for malware etc and have just completed a full scan using AVG and it's all clean

I really do suspect that the only way I can fix this is by reinstalling Windows... :tazz: - I will also try the cleaning of the drive as it could probably do with it anyway....

Thanks again

Pete

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
By the way, I own the exact drive you have... just love it! I especially like the quietness of the tray operation... much quieter than the older Plextors!

Did you try running Plextools. I think the CD has some utilities/diagnostics software on it. I'm sure there are read/write tests for CD/DVDs.

makai