Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Restarting Not going into XP

• Please log in to reply

Aquillus

Aquillus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey my cpu will start up and go up to the point were it says windows was started improperly last time chose a start up method. I choose one and it restarts back to the begining of the start up process. I have even tryed to load xp again but after it boots from the cd it restarts and keeps going into that continous cylce. I have replaced the hard drive with another xp drive and still the same problems. I think the old hard drive was running 98, but i am not sure. Please help, i am trying to make this my linux box. It is an IBM all in one pc. I do not know the specs but with some digging i will find them. Please Help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're trying to make it a linux box why worry about windows? (just wondering) also...you said you replaced the hard drive and reinstalled windows and the same problem came up? you should go about testing your ram...i'll find you instructions for that

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.memtest86.com/ go here for the ram test

Aquillus

Aquillus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Opps I am sorry I did not explain myself properly. I can't even get into windows! I replaced the hard drive with one I knew had a working operating system and it still right before it should go to windows reboots and starts the start up all over again. It will keep doing that continuously, with no error message not welcome screen nothing! I was going to try and just install Linux but when I did right before it goes to install it restarts and if I have it boot from the cd again (to install Linux) it will repeat the process and restart. If i do not have it boot from disk it goes to the windows was shut down wrong last time please select a starting method. Every method has the same outcome a restart!! It is so frustrating!!! Well I hope that gives you some better info. Thanks for your assistance!

Edited by Aquillus, 26 July 2005 - 06:09 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like you might have bad ram....if you go to the memtest site i think they have instructions on making a boot floppy with the file

Aquillus

Aquillus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey

I replaced my ram. Windows went to load and i got this error.... \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

I tried to load linux after it uncompressed the files it restarted the CPU.

I tried to reinstall Windows but i got this error on upload of the cd "File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The erroe code is 14. Setup cannot continue press any key to exit."

Please HELP!!!!