Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Accounts

• Please log in to reply

Flockers

Flockers

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Is it possible to uninstall a prgram from one account and still have it installed in the others, and is it possible it install a program in only one account?

I wanted to know this because my mom has a bunch of programs for her work, my dad has a bunch of real estate stuff, and my little brother has a bunch of games an stuff under their accounts and I don't want them in mine.

Advertisements

Flockers

Flockers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Any help?

flexoman

flexoman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
The Hard drive is what holds all software programs......Uninstalling a program requires unistalling from hard drive which means it won't be available for any user.

You can get rid of all shortcuts(icons) to those programs you don't want to use just by deleting the shortcut(This does not delete the program...Just the reference to it)....To delete any shortcuts just Right Click the item and hit delete...You won't see the shortcut under your user name any more but program still exists for those who use it.

HTH

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Guest_anynamewilldo_*
Hey Flakes,

It is possible to have applications installed only to one profile but the installer has to support that and it will ask you during the install. Furthermore, if your mom's profile and others on the system are administrators, they can still meddle with the programs and possibly run/uninstall them. If they are not admins, you could modify permissions to deny them access but it is unclear what your exact goal is so...

Flockers

Flockers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'll just delete the shortcuts and deal with it. Thanks though.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have administrative rights you can disable any program you want in other profiles.

Flockers

Flockers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

If you have administrative rights you can disable any program you want in other profiles.

View Post

I am an admin. How do I do that?

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Guest_anynamewilldo_*
We're assuming you're using NTFS. You'll need to read up on permissions. But remember that if you don't change your ma's and other's profiles to be users instead of power users or admins, this won't work...

Some screenshots to wet your appetite. If you're using XP home, what can I say, you're screwed...

This first shows you an example of what I was talking about earlier during the install.

install_users.gif

The second shows you perms. Right click on any file or folder and choose "properties" to get there.

perms.gif

Last but most important, you manipulate users and groups through:
START>RUN>lusrmgr.msc

Edited by anystupidassname, 26 July 2005 - 11:03 PM.