Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS error

• Please log in to reply

UK Griff

UK Griff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have 3 windows 98SE PC's and 2 XP SP2 PC connected to an Ethernet switch on a peer to peer network.

One of the XP PC's is connected to internet via ADSL modem and is acting as host for ICS and therefore others as clients. It has McAfee ISS 7 and Microsoft Beta Anti Spyware installed.

Network Wizard is not working as it sets host to IP address 192.168.0.1 (as it should) but sets clients to 10.0.0.xx. I have manually set these in the range 192.168.0.xxx and have managed to:

- Enable file and printer sharing between all PC's
- Establish Internet Gateway's on the 98 PC's
- Can ping external IP addresses from clients

so all hardware, cables etc are working

but

when I try to browse Internet just keep getting Page cannot be displayed or DNS error.

I have worked through all Microsoft trouble shooters, tried network wizard with and without Firewalls enabled, spoken at length with McAfee and ISP - cannot resolve problem.

Had some recent fun and games trying to remove nail.exe - could this be connected?

Anyway spent two full days trying to resolve this - can anybody help please... :tazz:

UK Griff

Sorry should have posted this to Network forum but can't see how to move it!

Edited by UK Griff, 26 July 2005 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Very good you described how my computer was. :tazz: My problem was the some services would not start and some them were need to connect to the internet. Since they would not start I had the DNS error. If you go to the control pannel<Administrative tools<services all that one that contain the word network should be started,Wirelss Zero Configuration, Workstation, DNS client, if they are not right click them and on the menue chose start. If some of them don't start you have the same thing as I did. I think that this is your problem. The bad news is that the only way that I know to fix it if they will not start is formating. don't do this yet if at all someone will help you if you wait.