Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Search and AV/login Problems

• Please log in to reply

Wahine

Wahine

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently had a virus (or several) on my computer. I posted to the malware section of this web site to get help. After tons of anti-virus/other malware scans and fixes, I was eventually informed that some of my problems are likely system problems and that I should post on this page.

When I click on Search from my Start menu, a page comes up, but there are no cells for which to search.

When I tried to download certain scans during our malware search, several scans would not run, and I have been unable to install McAfee antivirus software. The McAfee software as well as "Scriptrunner" (which we ran) turned up script errors.

Finally, I have tried to access the login screens of two web sites (my email and a school), and these login screens do not appear, although the other parts of the web site do. Oh, and one more thing. On occasion, the bar at the bottom of my homepage (the one with Start and the time) does not appear.

Do you see a link here? It seems that we have ruled out malware, so please let me know what you think. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progess line.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot. It will take an hour to get back to the desktop, so run it when you do not need the PC.

If you still have a problem post in

Wahine

Wahine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
All righty, I inserted my Toshiba/Windows XP Home Edition CD that came with the computer and ran sfc /scannow.

A screen for Toshiba installation popped up, as did the sfcscannow screen that ran and then closed. No blue bar or option to replace system files.

Hmmm...