Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP lock ups

• Please log in to reply

gordon56

gordon56

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just upgraded to an Asus K8V SE motherboard with an AMD 64 bit processor and am experiencing random lock ups ever since. I have traced it to Windows service calls per the event viewer, but can not get any further info on which service is causing the problem. The online help does not have any info either. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to trace this further?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did you format and reinstall windows when you upgraded the mobo?

Please list your full system specs, am especally interested in the ram and psu.

Rick

gordon56

gordon56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a 350 Watt power supply and am using 512 MB of Samsung PC 3200 DDR SDRAM. I did not do a new install of Windows as I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my application software.

Edited by gordon56, 26 July 2005 - 09:25 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The first thing you should try then is a format and reinstall of windows this very well could be the problem, the old motherboard drivers could be in conflict with with the new board. This is a must when ever installing a new board, I have tried to get away with it many times and even tried a repair install but there always seems to be some sort of problems.

Give it a try and let us know how it works then.

Also what is the name brand and model number of the psu? I would like to look up the specs, a 350w could be a little small for that system.

Rick

gordon56

gordon56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The PSU was a generic model I purchased a year or more ago. So I can't give you any better info.

I will likely do a new install of windows within the next week. I was hoping to avoid that so that I wouldn't have to reinstall and set up all of my applications.

Thanks for the response!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you could always go and pick up another hard drive just for windows, for the price of HDDs now you would be just as well. If it was a quality PSU then 350W would be fine, however a generic PSU i would get a new one because even of it is fine now you will probably have bother with it later on, check out some hardware forums see if anyone has the same case as you and has had a problem with the PSU, you might have one of the rare good generic PSUs although i doubt it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I agree with warriorscot it could also be the psu and without knowing what amps it puts out on the rails we don't even know if its adequate and I doubt it is, a good psu for your system will have amps in the mid 20's on the 12v rail.

But you do need to reinstall windows either way.