Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UsrPrmpt.exe Entry Point Not Found

• Please log in to reply

apoc_metal

apoc_metal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all, I'm a new member here... stumbled across your forums while searching for solutions to this on the web, but it seems noone has really discussed it yet, so I'll be the first!! How exciting!

Anyways, I'm trying to do some troubleshooting for a non-profit organization. A little background: I'm a native Mac user, but am well versed in PC's...

Anyways...

The basic problem:
At startup, an error message pops up:
"UsrPrmpt.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
The procedure entry point GetLongPathNameA could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. The only button is "OK" and it doesn't seem to be a serious error, as the machine seems to be working fine otherwise...

The machine is running Windows NT 4.00.1381, IE 5 5.00.2314.1003

I was searching around on the web and noticed that perhaps UsrPrmpt is part of Norton Antivirus (which is installed)... also read somewhere that NT doesn't support the GetLongPathNameA call, which may imply it is just too old for whatever software is trying to run?

Thanks for your help, this is a great resource and kudos to all of your for providing your time free of charge!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
everything i've found says that its symantec....it is used to tell someone when you have a virus...the fact that it is calling an error is probably due to the fact that nt doesnt support long file names...try disabling autoprotect on the system and see if that stops it....

apoc_metal

apoc_metal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hmm... I'm hesitant to disable auto-protect since it's not my computer. Does this imply that it is actually trying to tell me there is a virus?(implying there is a virus...?) Any fix besides just diabling norton? It seems the version of norton installed is 2002, is that just too new for NT?

Yikes, a full system scan hasn't been run since 2002!!! I'll run one now and post if it comes up as anything other than clean...
THanks for your super-quick response!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it seems that yes...it's trying to let you know it found a virus...and im not sure about 2002's compatability...but i would assume that nt is not friendly with it

apoc_metal

apoc_metal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

it seems that yes...it's trying to let you know it found a virus...and im not sure about 2002's compatability...but i would assume that nt is not friendly with it

View Post

Interesting... well full system scan with updated virus defs found no infection.
So I guess it's just a screwy error message?
Thanks for the help anyways :tazz: