Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clock keeps losing time

• Please log in to reply

Bonfire

Bonfire

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi,
Don't know what the heck is going on with my clock on the computer. It keeps losing time, I go in reset it, apply and ok. At first it was just losing a few mintues then this morning it was over an hour and a half slow. Any suggestions.
Thanks

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi Bonfire, :tazz:

How old is your pc??
Has this been going on for a while??
I suspect it is a CMOS battery going bad!!
You can look here at a step by step instruction on how to replace it :
Replacing the CMOS Battery

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for replying. My computer is ancient! Thanks for the nfo, not too sure I want to try that myself, may have to take it in. Can you tell me if this battery goes dead is it going to mess up my cmputer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bonfire...Welcome to G2G!

A dead or damaged CMOS battery can cause your computer to loose it's BIOS settings. Not a major problem, but can be quite an inconvenience if you don't know how to reset it. It will also cause calendar/clock problems. If you are not comfortable rummageing around inside the case, take it to a repair person...it's an inexpensive fix and you could have them clean it while they have the case open to prevent any future heat related issues.

wannabe1

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks, I may want to try it myself, I just called the repairman and he want $45 to do it! Sounds pricey to me.

Bonfire (just what I would like to do to the computer!)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Someone gave me an old machine with the exact same problem and that was the fix. Now I'm going to give it to someone who needs a computer but can't buy one. You can buy the batteries at Radio Shack or any computer store. There are several different ones but about 75% of them are the same.

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well this is wierd! Before it was an hour and a half behind and I'm sitting right here looking at it and it's right on time!!! How the heck can that be when I didn't re-set the time??? But I will get a new battery
just to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Well this is wierd!  Before it was an hour and a half behind and I'm sitting right here looking at it and it's right on time!!!  How the heck can that be when I didn't re-set the time???  But I will get a new battery
just to be on the safe side.  Thanks!

View Post

Some computers check the time on line, older ones only rely on the CMOS chip.

Bonfire

Bonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks! Mine must be as old as I thought since I bought it second hand. Thanks for your help.