Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

ME to 98

• Please log in to reply

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
hi guys, my nans got a old pc with Windows ME on it. It desperately needs deleting and starting from fresh. As i dont havea ME disk available to me i was wondering if i can put Windows 98 on instead of ME?

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
yes

if you are going to go with win 98, the second edition is the stable version(win98 SE).

Edited by bdlt, 27 July 2005 - 11:48 AM.

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
so it is possible to delete ME, then install 98?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all you should have to do is insert your 98 cd and restart the computer....make sure that your boot order is set to boot from cd....once the windows set up starts it will give you the option to format the drive...as long as there is nothing that needs to be kept (baby pictures, good data, etc...) you can format the drive and install

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
ye thats wot i was thinkin but some body mentioned that installing 98 on an ME cud cause probs as its an older version of windows. The computer wud tell me that this is an older version and wont let me install it.

thanks for the very fast responses

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may tell you such a thing if you try to just install it....but it should let you format...if it doesn't let us know and we can talk you through a format

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
wow top marks for response, that is very impressive, a credit to the forum. Thanks for the help, ill take ur word for it as i fully trust the geeks to go staff.

cheers liam

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm only fast cuz my network here at work is so new that nothing breaks...(yet) so i have alot of spare time

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
lol hairy muff

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Win98 install does not give you the option to format the drive, unlike most other OS's.
Do not be tempted to just install win98 over the top of ME either, you really do want to wipe the drive first.

This means creating or downloading a win98 boot disk first (not the standard ME boot disk cuz it won't contain the format.com file).

I'm sure Dsenette will talk you through the procedure you need to follow for formatting.
One thing I will recommend you do though....before wiping ME etc, go into control panel->device manager & write down exactly what hardware you have in the system. In particular, sound card, video card, modem etc. This way when you reinstall, if there are components which win98 doesn't already have the drivers for, you will be able to download the right ones from the internet. You can only do this of course if you know the exact make/model info etc for each bit of hardware.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
if you do not format the hard drive then you must empty the ME recycle bin
a little problem that is not well known