Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows media player not working

• Please log in to reply

dsdj

dsdj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
every time i try to use windows media player a message comes up saying ''Windows Media Player cannot play this file -- Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again''.

i'm already connected to the internet and i don't understnad the other part of the message. we've had this problem for a long time but the message used to not come up, i'd just click play and nothing would happen.

i redownloaded real player today and it gave me the chance to change the players for the different file types. i could only change them to real player, but i saw that windows media player files were already set to other players. if this is the problem, how do i fix it?

i tried downloading windows media player again but an error came up saying no updates could be detected.

thanks, dsdj

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download it from here, not windows update, and reinstall

http://www.microsoft...n&qstechnology=

dsdj

dsdj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, i reinstalled it from there and chose the default settings and it seemed to install fine. i clicked for a video file to come up and i got the same message as before

''Windows Media Player cannot play this file -- Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again''

the file on the playlist had a red exclamation mark by it. i went to error details and there was the same message.