Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Worm Protection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Syver

Syver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. Kinda new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If it doesn't belong here, I apologize in advance.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with my Norton Worm Protection. It keeps popping up with the Security Alert saying that it has detected a remote system trying to access my computer.

Here's what it's saying in the details box:

Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
File Name: Microsoft generic host process for Win32 S...(It trails off and I can't seem to expand it further, sorry.)
Direction: Inbound

Well, I know that that's part of Windows' normal procedure, so I allow it to go through and click 'Permit'. Five minutes later, it pops up again. So I hit 'Permit' again. Pops up once more a little bit later. Frustrated, I click 'Block'. Once again, a little while later, it's back again. It's been doing this all day for some reason and I don't know why but it won't stay gone, no matter what I select.

I got online and was talking with Alienware Tech Support and they suggested I run a virus scan, which my genius-self hadn't thought of. So, I did and it came up clean. Just to be cautious I ran SpyBot and Spyware Doctor and got rid of the couple of things that popped up. Ran Live Update on Norton, downloaded the newest Virus Definitions, and did another system scan that came up clean. I tried to find out something with Symantec's help database, but didn't see anything that looked like my problem.

I don't know what's causing this, but it's never done it until now. I'm not the most tech-savvy person, so this could be something really simple that I'm just not noticing.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

If you suspect malware, please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

Syver

Syver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Got it fixed. Thanks! :tazz:

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Any chance you could explain how you did get it fixed, will help others if you could thanks :tazz:

cheers woody

Syver

Syver

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for late reply, been busy with work. :tazz:

I didn't suspect Malware when I first encountered the problem, I figured it was probably just a tick in Norton's system, so I was fiddling around in the Options and got it fixed. Here's basically what I did.

Options
-Internet
-Internet Worm Protection
-Program Control

Under Program Control you'll see a list of all the things that you have permitted access to your computer. Svchost.exe (the program I was having problems with) was already listed there, but for some reason Norton wasn't recognizing it. So I clicked on it and selected 'Custom' from the pop-up menu. Remade the the directory as Custom, same rules regarding what to allow, and it worked fine after that.

Hope I explained that well enough and I hope it helps someone else. Thanks again guys for your advice! ;)

Edited by Syver, 29 July 2005 - 09:04 AM.