Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packet recieving problem

• Please log in to reply

omatic

omatic

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I seem to have a problem with sending packets on my PC. Meaning that I cannot access websites or anything on the internet at all, but my DSL modem is connected to both my PC and my phone line, and Windows says the Local Area Connection to it is on. However, the Local Area Connection shows packets have been sent, but 0 packets have been received.

When I boot my PC from my 2nd HD, also in Windows XP, my internet works fine, meaning it's something wrong with Windows in my main drive. What could have been messed up that would cause this?

Other info:
It seems that there's a problem renewing the IP address. When I look at the properties section for the TCP/IP config, the "Default Gateway" is blank, and I can't even access the DSL modem directly (by using it's local IP address, 192.168.1.254).

Advertisements