Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd hdd missing in XP

• Please log in to reply

rudimon

rudimon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

Just discovered my 120gb WD is not available in XP anymore, however BIOS does see it. My recent change to the system was upgrading to Win Media player ver 10.00.00.3646 .. prior to that i've been running like a champ.

I did have quite a bit of my CD collection ripped to that drive as mp3. Wondering if there is a connection. I've spent a lot of time doing such so this makes it worthy to recover

I am unsure of next steps for recovery .. if there even is any. Can someone shed some light this way please!! - not sure where to begin

regards.R

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something you can try is disconnect it and boot up, shut down, then reconnect it and see if your machine picks it up again. You should get two prompts from New Hardware before it will show up in My Comuter.

rudimon

rudimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks!!!

okay, i've tried that .. didn't find either disk after that. i disconnected 2nd and was able to get back to 1st.

what do you suggest now.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

thanks!!!

okay, i've tried that .. didn't find either disk after that.  i disconnected 2nd and was able to get back to 1st.

what do you suggest now.

View Post

I've had that happpen, usually when one drive is defective, or of a different type, or the jumper settings are wrong. But otherwise I'm pretty well baffled. Could you describe your setup more, what kind are both drives, your system, etc.. Maybe someone can help here.

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
You can go to the manufacters website eg:western digital, seagate ect. They should have a diagnostic program specific to there harddrive if that does not find your drive then your drive could be dead. Data recovery is expensive (i had an 80 and 200bg harddrives die on me not fun)

Make sure your connections are good and that if your primary master is on Cable Select
then so are your other drives.

Hope ya get it fixed

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
You can go to the manufacters website eg:western digital, seagate ect. They should have a diagnostic program specific to there harddrive if that does not find your drive then your drive could be dead. Data recovery is expensive (i had an 80 and 200bg harddrives die on me not fun)

Make sure your connections are good and that if your primary master is on Cable Select
then so are your other drives.

Hope ya get it fixed