Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Problem?

• Please log in to reply

HyDekar

HyDekar

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Heya, I'm just about to reformat my computer because of some bad problems that have been happening, so I thought I'd ponder this question and check it once I'm back up and running.

It has happened on two seperate occasions now, but when I start up my computer, not all the time, just on rare occasions, the bios will say clock not set, press F1 to enter setup, etc...
So I go into set up, fix up the clock and date, and I find that everything has been put back to the default settings!
Once I fix it up, it's fine... MEh?

ASUS A7V880 Mainboard
AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2.18Ghz
512MB 400MHZ DDR

Can anybody give me an idea of what's going on and a way to fix it?
Thanks!

- HyDekar

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It just needs a new CMOS battery, about a two dollar item you can get at Radio Shack or any computer store. It's about the size of a nickel and you need to get the right replacement, there are several types but most of them are the same.

The CMOS remembers your BIOS settings and the clock is part of the CMOS circuit too.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
They are usually quite common just check the CR number and get an identical one. When removing the battery make sure the computer is off and you take your time not to damage the board if you decide to use anything like a small screwdriver to remove it.

Posted Image

HyDekar

HyDekar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Excellent, that's what I thought it might be, I just thought I'd double check to see...
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I'll look around tomorrow after work.

THANKS AGAIN ;) :tazz: