Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP randomly restarting/hanging

• Please log in to reply

kidd_maverick

kidd_maverick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i've been reading through other posts w/ the same topic but i couldn't find one w/ the same scenario as mine. my computer randomly restarts itself w/out giving a BSOD. i have the automatic restart option turned off but i still don't get any BSOD and event viewer doesn't seem to record that the computer crashed. i'm pretty sure its a hardware problem since i just did a clean install of xp, no viruses/spyware. what i can't seem to figure out is that if i run prime95 or any program that has heavy CPU usage my computer will stay on just fine. only when i run medium/low CPU usage programs or if i do network activity(ie. transferring files) does it randomly restart.

2nd problem is on a separate computer the cd-rw drive randomly attempts to read a cd regardless if one is in it and regardless of what program is running...when it tries to read, the computer will hang for 1-2 seconds. it hasn't caused any problems but it is a nuisance having the computer freeze up every 30mins. its a MSI 8340A and i've tried updating firmware but hanging still remains.

thanks for any input.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Problem number one...I would start by checking the memory...even if the memory checks ok with a program like memtest86+ (google), try removing a stick of ram if you have two and see if the situation changes...then put it back in and remove the other.

On the second, when was the last time the CD_rom was cleaned? Is teh CD-rom in you path statement.

Does this only occur when a CD is in the cd-rom, or always?

kidd_maverick

kidd_maverick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i've tried removing the ram sticks before and switching slots as well but each still have the same restarts. Is there a reason why my computer runs fine as long as its being maxed out? i would think the greater the burden the more likely it'd restart. also this computer is about 4 years old and but worked fine up until now.

cleaned? err never.haha. i don't exactly know what you mean by path statement but it is detected at startup.

it reads regardless if there is a cd in it or not. hanging occurs when it tries to read and there is no cd in there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Normally, I would agree on the max out ought to cause the issue, but you never know.

use memtest86+ to test the ram....

Also, open the case and clean out the dust bunnies.

Also, at the next crash, note the time, then reboot and

start > Run
eventvwr.msc
enter

look for RED Xs in the SYSTEM and APPLICATION logs that happened at that time.

Also do that check for the CD_ROM access issue. What error occurs at that time

kidd_maverick

kidd_maverick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
there are no errors listed in event viewer after each crash. i'll try to get results for memtest...just having a little problem w/ my floppy drive at the moment.

the error that show for the cd-rom is during startup an error from service control manager reads:

The follow boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
rxp
the event ID is 7026

the errors that pops up when it actually attempts to read and hangs are from:

ati2mtag, event ID 50177, which is an unknown video decoder type.

atapi, event ID 9, The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

kidd_maverick

kidd_maverick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
just an update on the memtest results...no errors were detected.