Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost all control in Computer Management

• Please log in to reply

tigerterry

tigerterry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just updated my computer with SP-2. Now I've lost all my controls in Computer Management in My Computer. Anyway of easily restoreing these functions. Thankyou

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Right-Click on "My Computer", click on "Manage"

tigerterry

tigerterry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Right-Click on "My Computer", click on "Manage"

I know how to do that. Once I click on manage all my options are gone. Cannot get to my hard drive controls. Everything in System Tools is gone, everything in Storage is gone, everything in Service and Applications is gone. Those are the only 3 options I have now. And once I click on one of those options, it says on right hand box "There are no items to show in this view".
Also (I do have a legal copy of XP Proffesional) when I try to download one of the programs that might help me from Microsoft, it says I have to validate my copy. When I try to do that it says I may need to install Active X. I try doing that and thats as far as I get. No validation. And since I only have a measly OEM version, Microsoft won't give me any technical support unless I hand them $35.00. Validation only been in affect for less than a week and already problems.
Again I'll appreciate any help you guys can give me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
compmgmt.msc
enter

same or different result?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can also try from the mmc just do start > run > mmc then once the console opens do file > add remove snap-in > add > computer management

tigerterry

tigerterry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx..that did work to get me to my Hard Drive management. But still don't have any of my management in Manage Computer. I know whats happen. I updated my computer which has had Win XP on it for about 2 years. I thought I'd take a chance last week and update it with SP2. Now everything is going to All Users in Documents and Settings, instead of going to Terry. Thats where all my management is at. Have no idea why SP2 moved me to All Users. Anyway of getting it back to where it's supposed to be? I know as an All User I loose my Adminstrative rights that I had as Terry. Thx again for any help that you can send my way.