Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Shutdowns/crashes, etc

• Please log in to reply

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
nope.. wouldn't say that in the least Michael...
Like I said, XP is the most stable OS Windows has, and I have not had problems like what you describe. Even when I stuck XP on a PII, 300MHz computer.

If you don't mind, goto Control Panel>Add Remove programs ... Just gimme a list of all the programs/things in that screen.. appreciate it

Besides, you said you weren't having problems right now??

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, I will just disect what you already gave me on your programs list...

I am assuming you use Norton Antivirus as your main program??
And that you use ZoneLab as your firewall??
Having two programs that alter the same settings (Tweak UI and Tuneup WinStyler) may cause programs, but I would generally think that these are relatively harmless.

One of the programs in the list, lit a flag in my mind.. Diskeeper. Not because it is a bad program or anything, far from it.. But what version do you have?? If you have a trial/demo version, PLEASE uninstall it immediately.. I hope you are not using a trial version as an automatic defragger (ie, memory resident)..

Microsoft Antispyware has a "REAL-TIME PROTECTION" feature. It's not that this isn't good or the program isn't good, but this definitely classifies as a memory-resident program. Uninstall it or turn off real-time protection. I can't stress how many times I have linked programs that monitor the system in some way or another to cause some problem or another. The only configurations that I have found harmless are the following
[CONFIGURATION #1)
Main Antivirus Program (e.g. Norton Antivirus, AVG, Microsoft Antivirus, Mcafee.etc)
Firewall program (Windows Firewall, etc)
IP Blocker (really unnecesary for most people, useful if you have problems with certain IP ranges, e.g. viruses, pop-ups, etc.. you can ban whole domains if you want)

{CONFIGURATION #2)
Main Antivirus Program
Firewall

{Configuration #3}
Main Antivirus Program
IP Blocker

Any other program you use should not be memory resident and should not display an icon in the far right taskbar on your windows bar at the bottom of your screen

Other programs you use should be WYSIWYG. You scan, you remove, you close the program. DONE.
Anything more on these programs, and you should consult the forums on this..

Spyware GUARD, this sounds like another memory resident program. I would recommend Disabling it. Especially if you already have something like this memory resident.

If you choose to ignore the advice on the Memory-Resident programs, Microsft Antispyware and Spyware Guard, you are ignoring the most likely source of possible system clashes.

The following is a list of programs I consider relatively harmless, yet since some of these change and tweak system settings (even if only appearances) may cause problems.

Tuneup WinStyler
Tweak UI

This is the list of programs (I removed programs that couldn't really affect your system) that I deem could affect your system in some way(either good or bad).

Norton Antivirus
Mirosoft Antisypware
Norton Ghost
ZoneLab FireWall
Diskeeper (Defragger)
Tweak UI (Appearance Tweaker, MS approved/recommended)
Adware-Se
Spybot -S&D
SypwareBlaster
SpywareGuard
Tunup WinStyler (Appearance Tweaker)

Please give me a complete list of programs installed, via Control Panel> Add Remove programs and I will give you a better diagnosis...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have had lots of other software installed but formatted since then.

The first list that I gave you was what I had when it all started and probably the most important!
Here is all that I can add to the list of what I have got now.
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (install by Norton Ghost)
SoundMax (this loads with my computer and belongs to my sound card, needed to cange the volume)
Sonic DLA, MY DVD, and RecordNow (came with the computer)
Dell Media Experience (came with my computer)

Norton, and ZoneAlarm and the thing for adjusting the volume are the only thing that load with my computer Now.
When My compuer first went on the down hill fall Norton AntiVirus, Norton Ghost, Microsoft Antispyware, the thing for adjusting the volume and Dell Media Experience loaded to memory.

I want to make clear that I am not have not had any problems for 5 days but that is normal, if I do not find out what did it and still have the cause the problem it will come back I am sure.

I could remove TweakUI don't use it much and just keep in case I want to undo a few minor things. I for the last 2 day I have relied to Tuneup WinStyler for my theme.

I use the Anti Spy ware that is built into ZoneAlarm (only the latest version has this).
I have a registered version of Diskeeper (build 529 which came out a few days ago) only because someone gave my the serial. It dose not load to memory and I do defragmenting manual (I have nothing automatically done on my computer)

And as you guessed SpywareGuard dose load to memory if you let it, I don't.

Of recent (since the last format) I have disable all the services I don't need, like all the one that help when you have more than one user, indexing service etc...

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yeah, I just wanted to let you know, most importantly, it is not common to have problems with XP.. It is not normal.. XP is by far the most stable OS I have ever had.. I don't currently have any programs on my computer that crash or have problems. And don't have problems like what you have described, have never had problems like those with XP. That's not to say XP is perfect, but near perfect...

Anyways, I am glad that you don't have problems.

Just keep in mind a couple of tenets, and you should never have any serious problems with your computer

1> don't have two programs running or loaded in memory that perform the same or nearly the same function.
2> Keep the number of memory resident programs to a minimum... The fewer the better. None is best, but this is somewhat unrealistic..

Currently, the only memory resident programs that I have running are:

1. My network status icon, cuz I am on a wireless network
2. Windows Volume Icon
3. Norton Antivirus
4. ATI display properties icon

I could get the ATI display icon off, but the drivers would still be loaded in memory, so it wouldn't serve any purpose removing the icon. Plus I like the convenience of changing my display settings on a fly if I have to.

But other than that, this is really the bare minimum. And I am not losing any functionality or protection at all.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The thing is if I don't know what caused it will come back after a week or so like it has done several times already! I blame XP

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
What you should understand is that things happen for specific reasons. It's not XP that is causing your problems. If you have XP and SP2, than honestly, I can say that. It is something that you put on your computer or something that was put on your computer. Do you share your computer with anyone (whether, sibling or parents or friends)..

Here's is another little tidbit that used to always get me in trouble.. Some websites you go to will install spyware and adware(even on Firefox, I scanned my computer last night with Spybot S&D, and it pulled up 109 problems, all of them were just pretty harmless information collectors, but still 109... on Firefox,, I only use firefox..

Well, I removed them. After I removed them, I scanned again, 109 appeared again. And again. Finally I shut down all programs and scanned again. 50 were still on its radar. So, I restarted my computer, shut down all active tasks that I could from my taskbar and ran Spybot again. 50 came up, and I removed them all. I scanned again and finally it had cleaned all them up. ... I am going to run Spybot again to see if any got installed since that time..

I don't go to any websites I know will probably try janky things as far as installing spyware/adware.. I have a firewall through my internet connection and an active virus program. I use a browser with blockup capabilities(firefox) and still I get a lot of programs. Basically, even over all the protection, these things still manage to install. Granted, the ones I found on my computer were relatively harmless, if they had been worms or trojans or something of a harmful nature, than there could have been irreparable harm to my OS made..

Just being that I am very experience and knowledgeable in keeping my computer clean and only installing kosher software, I don't have the kind of problems I used to have.

Basically, some of these protection programs may not be doing the full job in cleaning things up... Just try it out yourself after you have removed threats.. Rescan..

Anyways, It isn't XP. If you want to think it is XP, that's your problem. And your other problem, namely your computer acting up(if that be the case), won't get solved.

Also, if you decide to goto Linux later on, this is also your choice. You can join the elite few (i.e. 3% or less) who put up with the complete lack of software, and lack of support/tech that comes with free and opensouce versions of Linux. There is such an immense amount of information and research you need (to do) JUST to get close to the functionality that you start out with by DEFAULT with Windows...

If you can't figure out the source of the problems, here is an easy solution that doesn't require you to format your harddrive...

If you think of all the time you will spend getting LInux to work and figuring it out, it would be just as much worth your time to just reinstall Windows...

Now, there is a fast way to do this WITHOUT formatting your HDD. You can just do a full REINSTALL(maybe called FULL RECOVERY). What this will do is merely install Windows again as if Windows weren't installed. Right over itself. Pretty much in the same exact spot.

Now, your registry will be reset (IE, there won't be any of the programs you had installed will be registered or in the start menu).. But the time and efficiency of this method more than pays off for spending an hour every two weeks to reset your computer..

Just a Disclaimer, Some people say that this can overwrite some of your data, But I have done this DOZENS of times, back when I had Win 98, and oh GOD Win ME (Did I say dozens,,, I reinstalled my OS nearly every week for 6 months when I had ME :tazz:

Steps...

Make a setup disc with all your updated drivers (or just download them and put them aside in an easy to find folder (ie, not your My Documents or anything that belongs to your User/log in name or any of the ones on the old install. Choose a directory that won't be deleted during reinstall (e.g. C:\Cant Get Me\Drivers

1> Reinstalling - You can actually load the Windows Installer right from within Windows.. Just insert your recovery disc and autoplay feature should go... Find the Install/Repair.. It should give you an option to just repair or do a full reinstall.. Do a reinstall.. After that you just follow the prompts like normal

2> After Windows is done reinstalling, Install your drivers and programs.. And voila, back to brand new

NOTE: I used this technique with an OS that people will quite honestly and openly tell you was quite unstable. I perfected this technique to an art and a science. Windows ME is what made me such an expert at troubleshooting OS and clashes between programs and basically anything software that caused me to think of murdering my computer and mouse and speaker and desk and wall and floor and refrigerator.. oh, and my microwave.. Thought of that too after I stopped myself from murdering all the above... Anyways, in all Honesty, I know a bad/unreliable OS when I see one, and XP is a very stable OS. It was written ENTIRELY from highly STABLE NT/2000 kernels.. They removed all of the old 98*admin code from it.

Another note : If you do have to reinstall your OS, try something different everytime .. E.g., if you installed one program that you might think is causing your problem, don't install it. Find a better program or learn to live without it.

Virus and spyware blockers are almost the only programs I know of that cause major clashes in XP. Other than that, XP is much better at managing memory and resouces as well as keeping a closer eye on non-responding programs. This way the user can shut it down or otherwise faster...

Anyways, I really hope you don't have any more problems.. Just becareful everything you put on your computer. Remember, just like you, your computer is what it eats. If you put nothing on your computer, it will be nothing. You put shady things on the computer, guess what....

PS: Just a note, something that occurred to me, When I install extensibles in Firefox, I read all the User reviews/comments. If I find that it does funny or bizaare things, I don't install it... Not sure if this helps... Maybe you might want to check some forums on Firefox and probmes... Anyways.. Goodluck

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Ok, I will say you are right, maby it was spyware (when this started I had only Microsoft Anti spyware and was not a member of this foram) I do keep sacning till it comes up with nothing, I am aware that you should do this (of recient). Now at the end of this I will admit that XP is good. And thanks for saying that some web sites put spyware on you computer evan though FireFox, there is always one thing that shows up on every sacn every two days. Copying the regestry and puting it back after the reinstall would stop the canghing back to the default? If Any problems do come back I will copy out this hole argument and follow all tips. Thank you very much for all your help!

Also since you have had so many problems with ME (I think it is not good) could you help me with another augment that I am have Here. He thinks that it is stable.

Final thing I am a member of a foram on FireFox and Thunderbird, use it when seting them up.