Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost d drive

• Please log in to reply

deathless

deathless

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help! For a few weeks I've been getting delay/write error messages which have been 'cured' by rebooting, however after doing that today my d drive isn't showing as being present on XP (my comp or system devices). the missing drive is a seagate 80gb

My spec is XP pro/1 gb RAM/3gb P4/5 hdd (inc the missing one)

Any ideas?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
double check that all of the connection are secure, liek the ones from the IDE cable to ther motherboard etc. However, this sounds like a failing hard drive, you might want to see if you can access it through the commanbd prompt.

Click on start | Run | type cmd.exe | then when that shows up, type (without the quotes) "cd d:\" This should take you to the root of your D drive.

--Chris

deathless

deathless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the advice, but no joy. This drive is dead :tazz:

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I hate to hear that. :tazz: But befor eyou trash it, try putting in a new one and seeing if that one works, just in case it isn't the drive, (but somehow I doubt it, sorry mate)

--Chris