Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

dftitans

dftitans

• Pip
  • 7 posts
;)

Greetings GTG, and thank you in advance for any help you may offer :tazz:

The other evening, with no warning, we had a power surge. I heard a loud "SNAP" in the computer room and since the computer will not boot.

Here are the particulars:

Compaq presario 6000 desktop model # 6415cl

all of the hardware specs are here:

http://h10025.www1.h...=bpb11713&lc=en

When I try to boot one green led light " the one on the right as you face the tower " goes on for a second then it goes out, the cpu fan and main fan power up, the cd drive light pulses then goes out and I hear one beep, not quite one second long.

I have checked the PSU with a multi meter and all of the rails check out no problem there.

I have removed the small battery, and disconnected the psu from the motherboard
overnight to clear the cmos with no luck.

I have removed and cleaned the cpu, and cpu heat sink and reinstalled with thermal grease. The cpu had no visible signs of damage I/E burn mark.

I have read that one short beep indicates a memory issue..... I am wondering if what I am hearing is a long or short beep as there is only one and nothing to compare it to...

The monitor works fine on another computer so I know its not the monitor, and I have tried installing a separate vid card as opposed to the one built into the motherboard.

I have only one 256 mb memory stick and I suppose it could be fried, do you suggest I purchase another and give it a try?

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again / dftitans :)

Advertisements