Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry

• Please log in to reply

Gearslapping68

Gearslapping68

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Hello I have a problem that is was answered by gerryf but a tad differant.
Regedit or regedt32 will not stay open for any lenght of time, automatically closes and there are no group policys loaded. Will gerryf 's fix work on this? I am not able to run tests on this server as it is highly critical to production so the fix either works or not and I cannot reboot as it takes an act of the higher power -((
Any help would be greatfull.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
regedit is closed by several malware programs, so I would check task manager or use process explorer from sysinternals to see if anything you are not familiar with is running, and stop it, then see if it will work

as a test, make a copy (COPY, NOT RENAME) of regedit.exe and rename it re.com

run that...does it work

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
By copying regedit.exe to regedit.com, you can usually run it without problems. Ultimately you should really remove the virus or malware that is causing this behaviour though. A couple virii and adware that cause this are:

Klez
Lovgate
Darksky
Navidad (old)
Polydrop (old)

www.sarc.com has a lot a removal tools for these that are simple to run

Adware.Shorty

Good luck!

Gearslapping68

Gearslapping68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip