Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All of a sudden, couldn't launch EXE's

• Please log in to reply

Woogie

Woogie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Installed a resource editor from Tucows, didn't like it, went to install, but "Add/remove programs" wouldn't open. Nothing odd in task manager (via ctrl/alt/del), so thought a reboot would cure it. None of the usual startup programs run on login, which I thought was strange, and all the programs on the desktop converted to a strange icon (the "no program associated with this" type icon)

Then find out no EXE's, CPL's, COM's, etc work at all.

Although thing like Iexplore didn't work, opening "My Computer" works, so typed in google and got on the web. Found this site & searched this forum; found I'm not the only person. Downloaded some .reg files and managed to get regedit to finally accept them, so I can now run EXEs again.

My first app was RegEdit to see what had happened, seems like loads of extensions have been changed from there defaults to "BomeRst". I've searched these forums and the web for this strange, but nothing turned up. My A/V software reports only one thing -> A Java/OpenStream virus, which apparently is adware.

So, in the registry, I see this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.com]
@="BomeRst.com"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.com\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

I see the above also for the following file extensions:
ACM, AX, BPL, CNV, COM, CPL, DCR, DLL, DPL, DRV, EXE, FLT, OCX, RES, SCR, SYS, TLB, TSP, WPC.

So, I can fix EXE, but I'm assuming the rest will need fixing too. How do I fix the rest of them? And has anyone seen this BomeRst thing?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
downlad and install all

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

is easier then messing with registry editing.

Woogie

Woogie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, that got me going again.

More info:

I've found the source of the problem. I installed software from the following website:
http://www.bome.com/Restorator/

As soon as you uninstall this software, you can no longer open EXE's, COM's, etc.

This is also where the "BomeRst" comes from in the registry when it overrides all the extensions.

BEWARE !

I'm going to send them an email now asking what they think they are doing.