Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built computer help

• Please log in to reply

_Radek_

_Radek_

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, I've just built a computer with: -
MSI Neo4 nForce4 Ultra Platinum
Athlon64 3700
Maxtor SATA HDD

When i turn on the computer it says that the drive is there (although only 114Gb instead of 120Gb), when i goto install windows XP it says that there is no hard drive to install on. Could you guy help me please?
Thanks

Advertisements

_Radek_

_Radek_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys. Sorry to bother you, but i really need help on this one, as i need to have this computer running by tomorrow
I didn't put in my full specs so here they are
450W PSU ATX2.0
MSI Neo4 nForce4 Ultra Platinum
Athlon64 3700 CPU
2x Corsair XMS3200 512Kb RAM (1Gb in total)
Maxtor 120Gb SATA HDD
Sapphire Radeon X700 GFX
DVD dirve
DVDRW drive
This is my first build and i don't know why i can't install windows. It says that there isn't a Hard Drive to install onto. I have put the SATA drive into the Silicon image ports (the orange ones on the board) instead of the NV ports (the purple ones). If anyone could tell me how i set up my Hard drive. I have enabled boot other device in the BIOS so i know its not that. I really need help on this.
Thank you

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. During windows install, you will be prompted to install 3rd party drivers by pressing F6. At that point, press f6 and insert the floppy into drive a and load the drivers.

Here is a good link for information on SATA, a tutorial
http://www.omnicast....build/SATA.html

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
you most likly need to add the drivers to a floppy disk when installing windows xp.
i agree with Austin_o on the link :tazz:

Edited by RogueComGeek, 29 July 2005 - 05:56 AM.

_Radek_

_Radek_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks alot guys. I've got it working now! :tazz:
Sorry if i sounded pushy, i just really need to get this compy working tonight so it is setup up by tomorrow
thanks again