Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update freezes up

• Please log in to reply

Soba

Soba

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, just got my system cleared of all malware and now i need to get the sp2 for windows xp.

Problem is that every time i try to get to the Windows Update page, the browser freezes before the page even starts loading. It's not exactly a new problem either, though in the past, it at least loaded the page with the words saying that it was downloading needed updates before it froze.

What's the problem?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How old is the version of Internet Explorer you're using? Early ones have a problem with scripts on the update pages. You might want to try updating IE first.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Just to rule out what it could be....is your XP a valid copy, not a bootleg?

Unlicensed copies of XP will not allow updates to be run.

Can you view other pages without problems?

Soba

Soba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Tyger: it is Internet Explorer 6.0

katkat92: as far as I know, it isn't a bootleg version... and i have previously been able to download updates before. I don't get this problem at any other page. What other pages might I not be able to view with a similar problem? Maybe I should try going to them and see if they work for me?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try this and see if it helps, let me know:

1. Open the Services window of the Microsoft Management Console (Click Start | Run, Enter services.msc, and click OK or Click Start | Administrative Tools | Services)

2. Set the log on information for each of the following RPC services to Local System account instead of NT Adminstrator. The two services are:

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

3. Close the Services windows.

4. Reboot the computer.

Soba

Soba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
hmm... no, that didn't seem to fix it, the page still freezes in the exact same manner.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Windows Update requires Auto Update and BITS to be enabled in Admin Tools> Services. When you say the browser freezes, do you still have keyboard and mouse control?

Johanna

Soba

Soba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Both of those (auto update and BITS) were already enabled when i went to check.

When it freezes, the page seems to start loading - going blank as if to show the next page - then it just stops. the address bar, taskbar, everything up top freezes as well, and you would see parts of the page underneath through random spots in the gray areas. I can't minimize or close the page.

But I still have mouse and keyboard control and can still click to another minimized item, which works normally (ie., i can click on a minimized web browser page and i can click on things on it or visit other webpages.) However, clicking back on the windows update browser brings me back to the blank white page.

Edited by Soba, 04 August 2005 - 03:14 AM.