Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to update Win98 " shell32.dll "

• Please log in to reply

s8n

s8n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi scene.....i need to update my Win98 " shell32.dll " library file......because its is outdated and having trouble reading my 120GB IDE HDD......is there a app that updates it directly or through installing another app , such as Nero or whatever?

i have already tried IE 6.....

any help is grateful

s8n

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you getting an error stating you need to update this file?

Using system file checker, you can replace shell32.dll from your Windows cd. It might just be corrupted.

Go to Start/Run... type in sfc then have it check your system. Heres a link on how to use SFC to replace corrupted windows files.

http://www.microsoft...ysfilecheck.asp

makai

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi man , no.......i have spoken with 2 very respectable forum members and they say Win98's " shell32.dll " has problems with large Hard Disk Drives ( ie 120gb ) ......as in i cant copy cut paste files larger than 2gig , and they said if i update my " shell32.dll " it should then function properly.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... so what action did you take? Did you search google for a download?

makai

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yea multi times , with not much luck.....nothing direct....im not giving up tho

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you have any other problems related to shell32.dll other than the fact you can't copy/paste 2gig files?

Did you run sfc to check if it was corrupted? Even if it's not, have sfc replace the file from your win98 cd and see if it helps.

makai